2021 Application Period NOW CLOSED
Come back soon to learn about our Summer 2021 Program!
Attention Middle School Students!
Do you like to make things? Are you curious about science? Do you like to have fun?
The Girls Tinker Academy is excited to announce “TINY TINKER,” a special spring break academy March 22-25!
EXPLORE – INVESTIGATE – DESIGN – MAKE
The virtual hands-on sessions introduce participants to coding, modeling, crafting, sewing and building. Participants will have fun engaging virtually with kids from other schools throughout the county.
Participants will meet on Zoom Monday through Thursday for up to 90 minutes each day. For each session, the TINY TINKER coordinator will present a challenge for participants to work on both together on Zoom and independently off Zoom.
The Girls Tinker Academy is designed to engage and inspire middle school students in maker pedagogy to encourage the exploration and development of technical, mathematical and artistic abilities. This program is intended for girls including gender-expansive youth currently in 7-9 grades.
More Info for Parents:
During TINY TINKER, up to 48 middle school students from across Sonoma County will be selected to participate in hands-on sessions to be taught by credentialed math, science and maker instructors. Participants will engage in a variety of activities including coding, modeling, crafting, sewing, and building.
Monday – Thursday
9 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
Location: Via Zoom!
Cost: FREE! A supply kit for the session will be provided and will need to be picked up from a destination TBD prior to the academy.
To be eligible for the Girls Tinker Academy, students must:
- Be current middle school students (currently in 7th, 8th or 9th grade)
- Attend a middle school in Sonoma County.
To be considered for participation, an online application, video/audio and recommendation form must be completed, as follows:
- 2021 Girls Tinker Academy “TINY TINKER” Student Application (below) – APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETED BY THE APPLICANTS, NOT THEIR PARENTS.
- Video or audio file answering the questions in the application (below)
- Recommendation from Math or Science Teacher (submitted confidentially to CTE Foundation)
- The student application is due by Friday, February 19. Try and get your application in early!
- Teacher recommendation is due Friday, February 26: Upon submission, we will email the applicant’s recommender to request complete the recommendation form.
- Notification to participants by Monday, March 8.
Questions: If you have additional questions, please contact Leslie Simmons, program manager for Community WISE/Girls Tinker Academy at lsimmons @ ctesonomacounty.org.
The Academy is a partnership between the School of Science and Technology at Sonoma State University (SSU) and Community WISE (Women Investing in STEM Equity), a project of the Career Technical Education (CTE) Foundation Sonoma County.
¿Necesita ayuda con la aplicación o tiene preguntas? Comuníquese con Leslie Simmons, lsimmons @ ctesonomacounty.org.